Thursday, November 13, 2008

My First RTW : Legs 24 and 25

Day Ten, Tuesday, 07:00:
I wait until there is some good daylight in this valley before I try and leave. This is NOT a place to have an engine out departure drill! Another new plane to start the day, theDash 7.

I fly it up the valley north of the airport and slowly work my way over or mostly around the local peaks. What can I say about this area but, "Wow"! If you don't fly here you should. The next stop is another NDB-only place, Gilgit, Pakistan. I fly over the airport,up a ridgeline, down a canyon, banking along the rocky cliffs and finally onto runway 7.



I pull on my G-suit and climb up to the A-10 Warthog AKA "Tank Buster".
I like some of these fighter panels because of the great visibility. I leave from runway 7, turn south and climb out above the mountains. I dial the GPS for Kathmandu, Nepal and head east. From 41,000 feet the area looks pretty bland but now I know that down there are some great little airports.

Kathmandu is another one of those tricky airports and today is breezy but visibility is good. Still, I watch my DME step-downs closely. This little Close-Air-Support fighter is really stable, easy to fly and nice to land.

No comments: