Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My First RTW : Legs 22 and 23

After brunch and some sightseeing I am off towards home, sort of. I climb into another Airbus, the Pakistan A300. I depart westward, into the wind and turn toward another city of tragedy, Karachi, Pakistan. Another city-by-the-sea and unfortunately for the world and its travelers, another area torn apart by politics. I am just so thankful that flightsim and its worldwide community can rise above politics!





From Karachi I fly a Saab 340 up the country, about 700 miles to Skardu, Pakistan. Now, Skardu sits in a valley with high (16,000 feet plus) mountains surrounding. I have 18,500 feet listed as my safe local altitude. At Skardu you'll find an NDB and that's it! I set up a circling pattern over the NDB loosing 2000 feet per lap around. As darkness settles over the land I slip, skid and plant my plane down (almost) on the runway! I still struggle with these twin turboprops. I'm not sure what Skardu has to offer in the way of 5-starhotels...but if other Pakistanis are anything like the ones I know, I'm sure I'll find a warm bed and more than enough food for the night.

No comments: