Monday, November 3, 2008

My First RTW : Leg 10

Day Four, Wednesday - 09:50:

Is this getting old yet? I don't mean to drag things on needlessly but I was having fun! And there really is a lot of world to see. I sprint back to the little airport and climb the rickety old ladder, squirm through a mere hole and into the cockpit of a B-17 Flying Fortress. Now this is a real airplane! I start the four old piston engines and crank up the volume.

Wow! I bask in the sound for a few moments before I realize a problem. I can't see out! Now how in the heck am I supposed to taxi this thing? To make matters worse this is a taildragger! Finally I get something figured out, sorry 'bout the tire tracks through your grass over there. It is somewhere after 10:30 AM Caribbean time that I get this great old bird lumbering into the air. Oh my, those sounds are great, and now I'm getting the wind too!


I just want to know one thing, HOW DID THEY TALK TO EACH OTHER BACK THEN?
"What? A Burger?"

"No, a Bogie. B-O-G-I-E, Bogie. 3 o'clock high!"

"You hurt your what, thigh?"

"No! Luftwaffe!"

"Oh, sure, I'll take a Belgian. With whipped cream please."


A thousand miles later I settle the gentle giant down onto the runway at Miami International. I'm not sure why Miami, other than I've never flown FlightSim into here before. I notice that in flight I felt like I was pushing the B-17 everywhere but once I started my descent she was easier to steer around. Such fun things we find out doing this hobby of ours!

No comments: