Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My First RTW : Leg 3

While Aspen is very scenic and beautiful (the sim just does not do it justice - as I'm sure it doesn't do anywhere real justice but hey, for $100 it's pretty darn impressive as far as I'm concerned) there is a lot of world yet to see, so I park the Beechcraft and after aquick drink and potty break climb into an excellent Piper Cheyenne II.
You know, just a quick little editorial, maybe it's the designers' fault but I sure prefer flying the Pipers to the Cessnas. Is that bad? Anyway, while there is very little information in my folders about approach or departure to the east, or is it more northeast? That's the way I go today. 3:00 PM Colorado time and I pull of into the mountains. A left turn, over some foothills and I find a canyon which leads up, and out. It is a short hop out of the Rockies and down into the plains. The winds are higher down here and the little Piper is rocked around as I try and set up for the approach into Colorado Springs. Maybe I wasn't watching my speed closely enough or maybe the wind had me distracted but frankly, for all the hoopla about this place I didn't really notice anything unusual about the landing. Maybe you should ask the passengers how it felt?

No comments: