Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My First RTW : Leg 2

Quick breakfast down and then it's back to the airport. This time a more familiar plane awaits me, the Beech 1900D.

At 11:30 AM I roar into the canyon, snap out a quick turn and dial up my flight path to Aspen, Colorado. It is a little bumpy as I climb up to my cruisingaltitude but not enough to upset my breakfast. Andrew Herd has written several excellent tutorials for FlightSim.Com and I pulled out the one for "How To Fly Dangerous Approaches, Aspen". And dialed in the Red Table VOR. Once my HSI came alive I disengaged theautopilot and headed in. The weather today is clear, calm and crisp. No flight into terrain worries today, I find myself thinking. This thought is soon followed by, "Wow, that DME runs up quick!" I push the stick forward and cut throttles even more. I land fast, and long,as usual and have to ride the brakes pretty hard to keep from shooting off into the town of Aspen itself. Whew!

No comments: