Thursday, October 30, 2008

My First RTW : Leg 5

Day Two, Monday - 07:00:
Having recovered physically from day one (obviously not psychologically or I wouldn't have come back), I find my way back to the computer and DFW. It is a sunny, warm morning, little evidence of last evening's storm remains (a few giant thunderheads on the horizon). Another new plane and panel for me this morning, the Aerolineas Argentina Boeing 747-200 with the analog panel. Kinda looks like the default Concorde panel to me but what do I know.


After I load in the waypoints I want to hit between Dallas and Buenos Aires I pushback and then start the four engines. The humming, whine is comforting. Actually, again, this guy Mike Hambly has done a great job and I recommend you download anything he has done recently. I taxi slowly out to the active, await my turn and then push the throttles forward. Acceleration is sluggish but then again, that's what you expect from a B-742. At 150 knots I rotate and after I'm through 200 feet I pull up the gears and begin retracting the flaps. After climbing to my initial 27,000 feet I engage the autopilot and head off to do all those real-world jobs I had committed to.
Wash and vacuum the car, climb up to 31,000.
Paint the hallway, climb up to 33,000.
Steam the carpets, climb to 35,000.
Take a nap, mow the lawn,wash the dog ... life is an endless drudgery sometimes. It is well after dark as I descend through scattered cumulus clouds and light showers. I come in over Rosario and roughly follow the river to Buenos Aires. I am blessed with a straight-in approach, light cross winds off the Atlantic but this big, heavy bird sets down nicely. Spoilers up, reverse thrust, light braking and we're off towards the terminal. Okay, so maybe this was a boring day but the night is still young and this is South America! I head off to find some nightlife.

No comments: